Hello, welcome to the Creswick Trails website that was created on 10-May-2011.
What is Creswick Trails?
The Creswick Trails concept is a forest-based multiple-use network of trails for mountain bikes, runners and recreational walkers. The trails will radiate from the central Victorian township of Creswick, creating links with Daylesford and the regional centre of Ballarat.
Creswick and its surrounding regional forests have some of the most beautiful natural and man-made waterways and walking tracks in central Victoria, such as the La Gerche trail and Landcare Walk and St George’s Lake.
Creswick Trails will make these and many other local features more accessible, using sustainable trail design that respects and enhances the cultural, historical, environmental values of the land, making it one of the region’s greatest natural assets.
What Creswick Trails will deliver
The Creswick Trails concept, has three primary aims, they are to:
1. Attract adventure and nature based tourism and events to the region thereby creating a significant stimulus to the local economy with substantial ongoing economic benefits
2. Establish a Centre for Sustainable Trail Design to train land managers and volunteers on world best practice trail design.
3. Increase community participation in recreation, leading to improvements in regional health and wellbeing incorporating universal design principles to cater for all users.
These aims will be delivered through the following themes
Forest Epics - Trails to explore the local forests
Community Connections - Trails that connect the community through activity
Event Central - Trails for adventure-based events
Sustaining trails - Trails to educate
Why Creswick and the surrounding region?
- Close to Melbourne and large regional centres
- Strong public transport and road networks, including important links from airports, thus being easily accessible to all users
- Significant natural values close to townships
- Strong support from community and government stakeholder groups both at a state, regional and local level, including all relevant land managers
- Large and well resourced communities that can support tourism and events
- Home to The University of Melbourne’s Department of Forest and Ecosystem Science which will support the Sustainable Trail Centre.
- Significant potential to stimulate local communities and their economies following recent devastating flood events
Where to now?
Creswick Trails has gained the support of the community, local government, land managers and other stakeholder groups and is strategically positioned from a state and national perspective. Creswick Trails now requires funding to drive planning and implementation of this exciting, important and unique regional project.
For further information contact: